Friday, May 22, 2009

Ham & Scalloped Potatoes

Yep...you guessed it...from mommy
This is one of my ALL TIME FAVORITE meals
HAM & SCALLOPED POTATOES
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Ham:
3lb ham
whole cloves
Glaze:
In small bowl mix 1/2 tsp ground mustard, 1 T vinegar, 1/4 cup brown sugar

Cut ham both ways (as seen in the picture). Stick a whole clove in each space (where the cuts meet...if that makes sense) Bake for an hour with the cloves in.

Take ham out & remove the cloves after 1 hour is up. Spread the glaze over the top of the ham & bake for another 30 minutes.
I prefer to get ham with no skin, the glaze really seeps in better that way!

Scalloped Potatoes:
6 Medium potatoes (about 4 cups) sliced into small pieces.

In a sauce pan:
melt 3 T of butter on low heat, add 3 T of flour and a little bit of salt & pepper. Stir until smooth & bubbly. Stir in 2 1/2 cups of milk (I use rice milk). Add some minced onion for flavor. Heat to a boil. Boil & stir for 1 minute.

In a 9x13 pan: put the potatoes in and pour sauce over. I like to mix it a bit to make sure it gets all over.

Bake 30 minutes covered. Remove cover & bake for another 30 minutes.


I like to put the ham in for 30 minutes, then put the potatoes in. 30 minutes later remove the cloves & cover from the potatoes. Then, cook for the last 30 minutes. Sometimes the potatoes need a little more time then an hour total. So, I remove the ham, let the potatoes bake for a bit longer, then put the ham back in for a few to get warm.

5 comments:

  1. Wow, you're gourmet, Traci! I just made my first ham a few weeks ago when I got one on sale at Easter time. Yours looks much prettier.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i have to say...i'm glad mom was always sweet enough to make me a baked potatoe on easter! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. yum! i haven't had this in forever... and if i remember right its usually leftovers as well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah! I eat it for leftovers for like a week :) DELISH!

    ReplyDelete
  5. (i meant 'great' leftovers as well when i posted this! haha)

    ReplyDelete