Thursday, August 26, 2010

Sweet Pork Burros

So, I make this Costa Vida copycat recipe. It is very yummy. However, I don't think it's an exact match as far as the flavor of the sweet pork at Costa Vida. My mom has a DELISH recipe for sweet pork and makes a heavenly tomatillo dressing that's just like at the restaurant, but it's much more involved and requires ingredients I don't usually have on hand. SO, here's the one I use cause it's easy, yummy, and I don't have to make an extra trip to the store.

Meat:
Pork
Brown Sugar
Salsa

Place pork (mine's usually frozen) in crock pot. Cover with brown sugar (probably 1/2 a cup or less, depending on how much meat you're using) and salsa (probably 1/2 a jar or more). Cook on low for several hours. Shred and stir before serving.

Rice:
1 C. rice (I use brown, but white is more like the restaurant)
1 small can diced green chiles
onion
garlic, minced
cilantro
spoonful of "butter"

Place green chiles, onion, and cilantro in food chopper and chop until "fine". Place all ingredients plus one cup water into pot and cook like you usually cook rice.

Serve meat and rice in tortillas (the kind you cook yourself are best) with cooked black or pinto beans. Top with cheese.

*Last night I made my own version of pico de gallo with tomato, cilantro, and green onion. Yum. I also used feta cheese instead of the shredded cheddar I usually would use and it was GREAT! I know I was a little vague on the exact measurements for the meat and rice, but if you ever want to make this, let me know and I'll be more specific!

4 comments: