Sunday, April 5, 2009

The "Usual"

I submit that everyone post their go-to recipe, the one that you feel like you make "all the time." I know I have a few standard meals that I reuse on a regular basis because they're easy and I usually have the ingredients on hand. So, what about your "regulars"? Maybe I can incorporate some of your favorites so that we don't get sick of the ones I feel like I'm making all the time.

Here's one of mine that I usually make about once a week. (I've never had an actual recipe for this. It's just what my mom does and her mom did the same. I just wing it, so I'll try to make it clear enough that you could duplicate this meal without too much trouble.)

Chicken Enchiladas

One to two chicken breasts, cooked. (I usually cook mine in the crock pot for 4-5 hours on low with a little water and taco seasoning in it.)
One can cream of mushroom soup
Approx. 1/2 cup milk
One small can green chiles
Approx. 1/2 cup sour cream
Shredded cheese (I usually use cheddar)
Tortillas (I usually make six enchiladas total for our small family.)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Shred cooked chicken.
Combine cream of mushroom soup, milk, green chiles, and sour cream. Mix well.
Spread a spoonful of mixture on the bottom of pan (I usually use a glass 9x9 pan).

Create enchiladas by placing a spoonful of chicken, large spoonful of mixture, and some cheese inside a tortilla. Fold into enchilada form. Stack enchiladas very closely together in pan. Spread remaining sauce mixture on top. Sprinkle cheese on top (the more the better, in my opinion).

Put in oven for 20-25 minutes.

You can serve this with whatever toppings, but they are delicious plain! I know you Riggs aren't big sour cream eaters, and same goes for Ryan, but he loves these! It's not like there's a strong sour cream taste; it's mainly to make a good consistency for the sauce.

Let me know if this isn't clear or if you have questions!

1 comment:

  1. YUM! I'm used to making my mom's typical chicken enchiladas, so I'll have to give these a try!

    ReplyDelete